As promised, here is a complete guide to traveling to Kennebunkport, Maine. Last year was our first time visiting this unique and charming town. Home of the LOBSTER and salty ocean water taffy, it quickly became a home in our hearts. We come every single summer and it has become our yearly summer tradition. Every year that we visit, we find new things to see, places to stay and things to explore. Kennebunkport is a small, tourist-driven, darling and quaint town. We had a beautiful weekend and are so sad to be back in New York. We wish we could have stayed there even longer! We look forward to returning every year and continuing to make new memories; eventually making it a tradition with our children and family one day. We were fortunate to have stayed at two different hotels in Kennebunkport and I will be sharing all of the details below. There is SO much information to share and I will be answering all of your questions here. Whether you are traveling for a weekend get-away or a week long stay- there will always be something to do in this beautifully scenic town. Taylor and I spent four full days in Kennebunkport and found that it was the perfect amount of time, to see and do everything we wanted to. This is one of my most memorable trips and I look forward to visiting again next year.
Where To Stay?
THE YACHTSMAN HOTEL & MARINA CLUB
As soon as we stepped foot into our private and quaint room, we felt serene, relaxed and could feel the ocean breeze drifting in. The room is vibrant, fun and filled with all the vacation essentials. Upon arriving, we were greeted by Casey, who was beyond accommodating and made our stay exceed our expectations. The bright white walls and pineapple headboard lifted our spirits and certainly put us immediately into, “vacation-mode.” The room is fully equipped with tv, fridge, full sized bed, sliding door, which leads to a small backyard with Adirondack chairs to lounge in and watch the boats go by.
The headboard was probably my favorite part of the room.
The Yachtsman has some wonderful accommodations and gives off the perfect beach vacation charm. The pool is in a separate, peaceful area from the resort and literally floats in the harbor! It is SUCH a cool experience, you feel like you’re floating on a boat. They have comfy beanbag chairs to lounge on. One of my favorite things that the Yachtsman offers, are complimentary bikes to ride into town. Town is about a mile or so to walk. We found the location to be perfect! I loved that the Yachtsman was close to town, but still slightly secluded; so you have more of a peaceful and serene experience. With the backyard feature and small pool- this hotel is children and couple friendly. Every morning, Mr. Darling walked down to the offices/lobby to grab a cup of fresh coffee from their adorable coffee bar. We truly loved every moment of our stay and certainly will be back. They definitely have made this hotel family oriented and a wonderful place to make long-lasting memories. Another thing that I wanted to mention, is that KRC hotels offers complimentary kayaks for all guests at the marina, which is located next door to The Yachtsman!
We, overall, had an AMAZING stay at The Yachtsman. They were constantly going above and beyond to make our stay perfect and we thought they had so many wonderful accommodations. From pastry deliveries right to your door every morning, to an outdoor patio and your own small backyard; we were beyond pleased with our experience there. We definitely felt that breezy feel of freedom and have now found our new getaway spot.
The Boathouse Waterfront Hotel
The Boathouse is also owned by KRC hotels and we stayed here for our last night in Kennebunkport. One of the amazing features of the hotel is the fact that you can take steps out of the hotel and be right in the center of Dock Square in the town of Kennebunkport. I think this hotel has the absolute best VIEWS of Kennebunkport (especially from room 206). Our room had its very own private balcony overlooking the bridge and Kennebunk river. This waterfront hotel offers a prime in house seafood restaurant. It is one of our favorite spots to eat. If you are on the hunt for a great waterside hotel, then this is it. The views are incomparable to anything you will find in town.
This view from our balcony was incredible!
What to do
When it comes to things to do, Kennebunkport is filled with beaches, gift shops and sightseeing tours.
- You must visit the Kennebunkport Beaches. The water is absolutely beautiful and the surrounding homes are so elegant and charming to see. We visited Gooch’s Beach, which was a few miles (maybe 3 if that) from our hotel room.
- Trolley Tour- This was a fun 45 minute, narrated tour all throughout Kennebunkport. The views they show you are just incredible. This was so relaxing, as well as interesting to get an entire historic view of the town. It is $18 per adult.
- Horse & Carriage Ride- I’m not entirely sure how much this would have been, but it looked so lovely.
- Coastal Maine Scooter Rental: We did this last trip and it was our FAVORITE thing to do there. We rode along the shore and all through out town. It was a little too cold and windy this trip to rent. Next trip, we will for sure! If you have a few extra minutes in your day, you should ride the scooter to Saint Anne’s Cathedral church. The architecture was absolutely exquisite. ( To rent a scooter- 207-204-0734)
- Dock Square Shopping: This is the best spot to shop for all things touristy. From sea salt water taffy to baseball hats and the BEST syrup; they have TONS of shopping in the square. One of our favorite stores is “Mountain Tops.” They have the best selection of sweatshirts and tees. This is where Mr. Darling and I bought our matching sweatshirts. Mr. Darling also LOVES the “Candy Man.” They may or may not have chocolate covered twinkies.
- Boat Tours- It was a little too chilly this trip to go on the whale watching or lobster tour. I have heard wonderful things about both. I believe it is around $65 per person. The town offered numerous types of tours. All of the boat tours can be purchased, at the Marina next to Maxim’s Desserts! We didn’t have the chance to do a boat tour, but everyone raved over the whale-watching tour. If you wanted to skip the tour, you could always head to the bridge and take a walk alongside the Marina.
Where To Eat
There are numerous restaurants located in Kennebunkport, but here is a list of my favorites!
The Burleigh at the Kennebunkport Inn
Ocean at Cape Arundel Inn & Resort
The Dory at The Lodge on the Cove
We ate at The Burleigh for dinner to celebrate Mr. Darling’s birthday. As soon as we arrived, they greeted us with champagne to toast his special celebration. The food was astounding. We ordered a few appetizers and Taylor raved over the clams. As you know, Kennebunk is known for its seafood, especially the lobster. I ordered the sirloin and it was cooked to perfection. Tender with a crisp outer layer, it was served with some of the BEST French fries I’ve had. If you are looking for a romantic evening, then the Burleigh, would make a lovely evening for two. They offer outdoor, as well as indoor seating.
Mr. Darling should write this section of the blog post because he ate enough dessert for the both of us. I will share a few of his favorite spots!
Maxim Desserts- This is a little food truck located in Dock Square. Hands down the BEST ice cream you will EVER have. The blueberry cheesecake is his fave. You can find this at 2 Harbor Lane!
Candy Man- They have amazing fudge and chocolate covered twinkies. Definitely a favorite of Mr. Darlings!
Satellite Donuts- Located at 4 Spring Street, in the heart of Kennebunkport Village. These are probably some of the best donuts you will ever consume. Taylor’s favorite are the strawberry sprinkled donuts.
So many of you have been asking me for the best spots to take Instagram-worthy shots. Here are some of my FAVORITE spots!
The Yachtsman Hotel & Marina Pool – Best pool spot
This cafe is ADORABLE. The Tiffany blue decor and the pickup truck filled with flowers, makes the perfect Instagram spot. Our favorite spot was the “You’re my everything” photo wall! Mr. Darling and I loved this hidden gem in Wells, Maine! It is about an 8 minute drive from town.
Take a shot on the Kennebunk bridge or on the rooftop of the Boathouse hotel, for the perfect sunset shot!
Thank you all for following along on our Kennebunkport journey. I hope this travel guide was resourceful and helpful for your planning needs. Thank you to KRC hotels for sponsoring our incredible stay. Of course all opinions are my own! We look forward to our next stay! Of course, feel free to reach out, if you have any questions!